This started as a round of emails to friends, asking them what made them happy. Over time, it’s becoming something rather special. Pick a name, learn about a stranger, and draw joy from the words of another human being as they share what being alive means to them.
Every time I receive one of these profiles, it’s so life-affirming to read the responses! It’s also comforting to see that some common themes keep cropping up, too. It seems that we get more peaceful with ourselves as we age. We seem to cherish close, supportive relationships above most other things. And we understand the importance of looking after ourselves, even if we’re not necessarily great at it. It looks like we’re not all so different after all.
Want to feature? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a high resolution picture of a time you remember feeling happy, a sentence describing yourself, and your responses to the below questions.
And of course, you’re encouraged to leave a comment under someone’s profile if their words have inspired you!
- What makes you happy?
- Is there something that you spent a long time believeing you couldn’t do…. only to try it and realise that you can actually could do it? What made you try it?
- If you were taking yourself on a date, what would you arrange for yourself?
- What’s one thing you do regularly in order to look after yourself?
- Share one thing that used to make you really anxious, that you no longer worry about.
- Time is precious. What do you dedicate yours to?
- Give your 18 year old self a piece of advice.
- Will you grow old gracefully or disgracefully?
- What do you hope people say about you when you’re dead?
- How did answering these questions make you feel?
(Photograph on this page by Charlotte Bland)